Scholarships & Contests Offered to High School Students
Are you a senior who is concerned about how you will pay for college? Remember that there are many different scholarship opportunities that you may be eligible for. Here are some of the more popular scholarship opportunities you should be aware of:
The High School Guidance office should be the first stop for any high school student. See your counselor for more information.
- If you have a particular major in mind, music, for example, check your high school’s music department for upcoming scholarships.
- Internet searches can reveal a wealth of scholarship opportunities. The New York State Higher Education Services Corp. Web site (HESC.org) is a great place to start.
- www.Fastweb.com is another great scholarship resource.
- Employers may offer college scholarships as an employee benefit. Your parents or guardians should check with their human resources department to see if a scholarship is available for family members.
- Colleges or schools you are considering may have scholarships available. College websites are a wealth of information about paying for college, and include details about campus scholarships offered to incoming students. Look in the admissions or financial aid sections.
FREQUENTLY USED SCHOLARSHIP WEBSITES:
Please see the attached files below for additional scholarships. More information regarding these scholarships can be found in the Guidance Office.
SENIORS: Make sure to check the Guidance Google Classroom page for the most updated information on available scholarships and notices of scholarship applications!
PLEASE SEE YOUR GUIDANCE COUNSELOR WITH ANY QUESTIONS!!
Long Island Coalition for Life sponsors an annual oratory contest for HS Jr & Sr . Prizes of $500, $300 and $200 are awarded to winners. Please see your Theology teacher or Mrs. Stutzmann in the Guidance office for more information.
The Society of Torch and Laurel are granting Scholarships to any senior going to a 4 year College. Below are a list of the 5 Scholarship. If you have any interest or questions about any of the below scholarships please see Mrs. Stutzmann in the Guidance Office she has all the information on how to apply.
- Global Citizen Year Award: an immersive gap year program, is seeking bold leaders like you - eager to make a difference in the world and to make college count. We are excited to provide an exclusive $5,000 scholarship for a current high school senior to take a gap year in 2018. The deadline is April 6.
- Make School Award: Launch your own iOS app or website in just 6 weeks! We are offering two full tuition scholarships for a summer learning experience that features mentorship from engineers at Google, Facebook, and more.
- Trailblazer Award: Are you the first in your family to attend college? Don't forget to apply for the Trailblazer Award before March 29!. We will award 2 $10,000 scholarships to First Generation Scholars about to start their collegiate journey.
- Semester at Sea Fall Award: Want to spend a Semester at Sea? Applications for the Fall 2018 Semester at Sea scholarship are now open! For the Fall Semester we will be awarding 2 $10,000 scholarships. Deadline is April 15th.
- Leadership Development Award: Are you developing your leadership skills to succeed in school and beyond? We will award 5 $500.00 scholarships to students who plan to participate in a leadership conference/program. The deadline is April 26th.
Molloy College is offering through the Department of Modern Languages students to apply to their Leading with Languages and the Global Citizen Essay Contest. The applicants will be eligible to win a scholarship of up to $5,000. To qualify the applicant must be:
1. Attending Molloy College as a freshman in the Fall of 2018 with a declared major in English, Modern Languages, Art, Music, Communications, Philosophy, Theology and religious Studies, theatre Arts, New Media or Interdisciplinary Studies.
2. Have completed a minimum of two years of a language other than English during High School
Students should visit molloy.edu/humanitiesscholarship2018 to apply. They will need to complete the application, submit a 600-800 word essay that answers the specific question outlined, and request that a World Language teacher email a letter of recommendation on their behalf. The letter can be emailed to email@example.com. The deadline for submission is March 28th 2018.
Virginia W. Smith Scholarship - Any high school senior interested in furthering their education at the college level in horticulture, environmental or conservation studies may apply for the $2,500 one-time award. Application online at http://ncgc.org Interview required. Deadline is April 30th, 2018.
SUNY OSWEGO Possibility Scholarship - covers undergraduate tuition, room, board and mandatory fees for four years at SUNY Oswego, in coordination with other merit and need-based aid including summer research opportunitiy and internation study abroad experience. Students who qualify and stay enrolled in the program could leave SUNY Oswego with little or no debt!. This Scholarship is designed to support high-achieving and financially disadvantaged students from the New York State who are committed to studying in a STEM field. Details and requirements for the scholarship can be found at www.oswego.edu/possibility If you have any questions or assistance please do not hesitate to call Daniel Griffin at 315-312-2250 or email him directly at Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org
Emmanuel College Catholic High School Graduate Award- This $5,000 annual Award ($20,000 total over 4 years) recognizes a students commitment to academics and service in high school, as well as the valuable contributions he or she will make as a member of the Emmanuel college Community. All Catholic High School students who are accepted to Emmanuel will receive this award no separate scholarship application is required.
Island Federal Credit Union- will be offering 3 $10,000 and 8 $2,500 Scholarships. To be eligible you must :
1. Be a High School Senior that lives on Long Island
2. A holder of an Island checking/debit card account at the time the entry is submitted. There is no monthly fee or balance requirement to open or maintain the account, which can be opened at any branch.
Simply print out and complete the Scholarship Entry Form and Offical Rules from our website at islandfcu.com. We have a few application in the guidance office please see Mrs. Stutzmann. Deadline is Friday April 20, 2018
Summer Hope Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports the fight against cancer.
The application packet should include an essay (not to exceed 1,000 words), describing how the applicant's life has been affected by cancer.
Submission deadline: May 1st, 2011. Award recipients receive a one time $1,000 college scholarship. Please visit guidance for details and application
AMERICANS IN GOVERNMENT
Applicant qualifications include a typed essay, two letters of recommendation, as well as participation in school and community activities. In addtition, applicant must be of Irish ancestry. Visit guidance for information and application
BETHPAGE FEDERAL CREDIT UNION FOUNDATION
OF 10 SCHOLARSHIPS OF $1,000 EACH TO QUALIFYING HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS PLANNING TO ATTEND AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY.
VISIT www.lovebethpage.com or call 516.349.4250 for details.
NASSAU COUNTY AMERICAN LEGION
$1,000 scholarship awarded to student with most outstanding academic credentials in Nassau County.
FLORAL PARK WOMEN'S CLUB
Candidates need to be seniors who reside in the Village of Floral Park and rank in the top 25% of the Class. In addition, service to school and community as well as financial need is considered.
HUNTINGTON LIONS CLUB SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Candidates must reside in the Huntington Union Free School District #3. The recipient will receive $5,000. The criteria is baded on financial need, community and school service, academic accomplishments and accceptance at an accredited academic institution.
DEADLINE: Postmarked no later than May 9th.
LOCUST VALLEY ROTARY CLUB SCHOLARSHIP: APPLICANTS MUST HAVE A STRONG COMMUNITY SERVICE BACKGROUND AND RESIDE IN THE LOCUST VALLEY CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
DEADLINE: APPLICATION SUBMISSION BY APRIL 15TH
OYSTER BAY LIONS CLUB COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD
DEADLINE: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 3RD
SEE GUIDANCE FOR APPLICATIONS AND INFORMATION.
GE-REAGAN FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
APPLICANTS MUST DEMONSTRATE EXEMPLARY LEADERSHIP, DRIVE, INTEGRITY, AND CITIZENSHIP. AWARDS ARE $10,000 RENEWABLE SCHOLARSHIPS OF UP TO $40,000 PER RECIPIENT.
DEADLINE IS MARCH 18, 2018
VISIT: www.reaganfoundation.org/scholarships or come to guidance for details.
The Buick Achievers Scholarship Program.
Awards up to $25,000/year for four years!
Deadine: March 30, 2018
We encourage applicants who:
1.will be enrolling for full-time study as first-time freshmen at a 4-year college or university
2.plan to major in one of the following: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing, or Design
3.are interested in a career in the automotive or related industries
TOWN OF OYSTER BAY ARTS COUNCIL, INC.
APPLICANTS NEED TO BE HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS WHO RESIDE IN OYSTER BAY AND ARE CONTINUING THEIR EDUCATION IN THE ARTS. SCHOLARSHIPS WILL BE AWARDED IN THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES: MUSIC, DANCE, THEATRE, VISUAL ARTS AND LITERARY ARTS.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29, 2018
FINE ARTS SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION: THE TERIAN FOUNDATION
AWARDS ARE MERIT BASED AND INCLUDE WORKS IN VARIOUS MEDIA.
ENTRY SUBMISSIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY THURSDAY, MARCH 29, 2018
FOR BROCHURES AND APPLICATIONS OR CAL 516.801.2983
WOMEN IN SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP: ST. JOHN'S UNIVERSITY
APPLICANTS NEED TO BE MAJORING IN THE SCIENCES AND DEMONSTRATE FINANCIAL NEED.
Visit guidance or visit www.stjohns.edu/admissions/undergraduate/scholarships for details.
THE MARIA A.SCIARA SCHOLARSHIP FUND
ONE TIME AWARD OF $1000 TO A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR WHO ASPIRES TO BE A TEACHER AND RESIDES WITH A PARENT OR GUARDIAN WHO IS A SURVIVOR OF CANCER OR HAS RESIDED WITH A PARENT OR GUARDIAN WHO IS A VICTIM OF CANCER (OTHER THAN BREAST CANCER). THE SUBMISSION PACKET MUST BE POSTMARKED BY APRIL 6, 2018. VISIT www.li2daywalk.org/scholarship.asp AND/OR THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT FOR DETAILS AND AN APPLICATION.
USGBC-LI 2010-2011 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
MUST BE GRADUATING SENIORS LIVING IN NASSAU ORSUFFOLK COUNTY WHO PLAN TO ENROLL AT AN ACCREDITED TWO-YEAR OR FOUR-YEAR COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY OR VOCATIONAL-TECHNICAL SCHOOL.
APPLICATIONS CAN BE FOUND ONLINE AT www.usgbc.li,org.
THE TRI-STATE ITALIAN-AMERICAN CONGRESS
IS AWARDING DESERVING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS OF ITALIAN-AMERICAN HERITAGE SCHOLARSHIPS. THE SCHOLARSHIPS RANGE FROM $3,000 - $5,000. www.TRISIAC.ORG.
HARTWICK COLLEGE- The Founders' Award
This award is a guaranteed tuition grant of $40,000. or 10,000 per year over four years and transfer students of New York State. Students may also qualify for up to $25,000 more per year in additional college and scholarships.