Celebrating 90 Years of Success
90 Years of Faith in Education
In 1921 Reverend Charles J. Canivan, pastor of St Dominic (1914-1944), began to execute his vision of building a parish school by purchasing the Ross property on Anstice Street. August 15, 1922 marked the groundbreaking, and on September 8, 1924 St. Dominic Elementary School opened. The school cost $220,000 and had seventeen classrooms and a large auditorium. With the consent of Reverend Thomas E. Malloy, the Bishop of Brooklyn, Father Canivan invited the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, to come and teach at St. Dominic.
St. Dominic High School opened on September 10, 1928, making it the first Catholic secondary school on Long Island. Groundbreaking for a new high school building took place on April 25, 1941. The new building, Marian Hall, contained ten classrooms, a library, a medical office, a science office and an administrative office. The building also had an impressive basement, complete with bowling alleys, and a room that served as a projection room, recreation room, and an auditorium that seated 500.
In 1968 a new building was built for the Elementary School on School Street due to high enrollment and overcrowding. With the Elementary School now down the street, the High School was able to hold classes at both Marian Hall and Canivan Hall.
Ground was broken once again on October 24, 1976 in order to construct a new gymnasium. The sports center cost $600,000 and was named after Msgr. Collins, the “master builder.” Dedication Day was September 10, 1978, exactly fifty years after the High School opened. The old gym/theatre was built in the 1920’s and held proms, band concerts, dance shows, pep rallies, and basketball games. Renovations to the theatre began in the late 1970s, and then in the late 1990s further enhancements were made towards it.
The next addition to the High School was made when Charles Wang presented the school with a strip of property for outdoor athletic facilities in Muttontown. There are currently two baseball fields, two softball fields, two soccer/lacrosse fields, tennis courts, and a meeting house.
In October 2012 the final piece to the High School was added when a ten million dollar gift was given to convert the Covent into The new Science & Communication Center. The Center consists of five high school state-of the- art labs. Since its opening Saint Dominic High School has built Research Partnerships with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and Waterfront Center.
Nine decades after it’s opening, St. Dominic High School is still going strong and proving to be “a parish school where science, culture, and religion are taught for the glory of God and the advancement of mankind.” (Msgr. Canivan)